Bali is a popular tourist destination, known for its beautiful beaches, stunning landscapes, and unique culture. One of the highlights of any Bali tour is visiting the island's many temples, which offer a glimpse into Bali's rich history and spiritual traditions. Here are 15 must-visit temples to add to your Bali itinerary.
1. Pura Besakih - This is Bali's largest temple complex and one of the island's most important religious sites. It's located on the slopes of Mount Agung and is made up of over 20 individual temples.
2. Tanah Lot Temple - This temple is located on a rocky outcrop in the sea and is one of Bali's most iconic landmarks. It's especially beautiful at sunset, when the temple is silhouetted against the orange sky.
3. Pura Luhur Uluwatu - This temple is perched on a cliff overlooking the ocean and is famous for its stunning location and traditional Kecak dance performances.
4. Tirta Empul Temple - This temple is known for its holy spring water, which is believed to have healing properties. Visitors can bathe in the pools and cleanse their souls.
5. Gunung Kawi Temple - This temple complex is located in a lush valley and consists of 10 rock-cut shrines carved into the cliffs.
6. Pura Ulun Danu Bratan - This temple is located on the shores of Lake Bratan and is known for its picturesque location and stunning architecture.
7. Pura Taman Ayun - This temple is located in Mengwi and is known for its beautiful gardens and impressive architectural features.
8. Goa Gajah Temple - Also known as the Elephant Cave, this temple features intricate carvings and is believed to date back to the 11th century.
9. Pura Kehen - This temple is located in Bangli and is known for its impressive towering entrance gate and beautiful gardens.
10. Pura Penataran Sasih - This temple is located in Pejeng and is famous for its ancient stone carvings and impressive architecture.
11. Pura Taman Saraswati - This temple is located in Ubud and is known for its beautiful lotus pond and traditional dance performances.
12. Pura Gunung Lebah - This temple is located in Ubud and is known for its peaceful location and stunning views of the surrounding rice paddies.
13. Pura Samuan Tiga - This temple is located in Gianyar and is known for its unique architecture and ancient stone carvings.
14. Pura Dalem Agung Padangtegal - This temple is located in Ubud and is known for its intricately carved entrance gate and peaceful atmosphere.
15. Pura Beji - This temple is located in Sangsit and is known for its beautiful carvings and intricate architecture.
When planning your Bali tour, be sure to include some of these must-visit temples for a truly memorable and culturally rich experience.